Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Ride

Title: The Ride
Author: Tarabeth
Pairing: Joey/Michael

“Bicycle, bicycle, bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle, bicycle, bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like”
-- Queen


This year Joey and I had decided to do something a little different for our Vacation.

Okay, so that isn’t totally honest.

Different, yes.

We decided (well technically, I guess), but mostly no.

***** ***** ***** ***** *****

November

I decided that I wanted to ride my bike from San Francisco to Los Angeles, in seven days, with 2,000 other people. So, I went out and spent $3,000 for a new Cannondale Six13 road bike, another $1,000 in cycling gear and clothes (remember the clothes make the man), and registered for the AIDS Lifecycle. The funny part is that I forgot to mention any of this to Joey. Hmmhmm.

So when our credit card company called the next day to verify a large purchase, he was a little shocked.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****

I have been working in HIV prevention since I was 16. Coming out at the age of 15, in the Bay Area, in 1989, was a bit scary; I was sure I would never live to see 21.

When I got my driver’s license the next year, I started driving myself into the city every weekend to protest with ACT UP. In the two years I spent with ACT UP, I watched a lot of bright, talented young men die. They were my friends and mentors. I watched them loose their health, careers, families and partners to the stigma of AIDS. I vowed that I was going to stay HIV negative and devote my life to helping others do the same until their was a cure for this horrible disease.

So here I am, seventeen years later, sitting in the Board of Director’s meeting for the non-profit of which I am the executive director. We are a small agency that provides HIV prevention programs to men who have sex with men.

I shifted a little in my seat as my cell phone vibrated in my pocket. “911, call me immediately. –J”

It wasn’t unusual for me to receive urgent calls from staff during meetings, so no one took any notice as I glanced at the screen on my phone. I waited a couple a minutes for the group to finish on the present topic, and politely asked if we might take a short break.

My hands shook as I dialed Joey’s cell. It wasn’t normal for him to send me urgent messages like that, and I was terribly concerned about what was going on.

“Mikey?” Oh Lord, he sounded frantic. Not good. Joey doesn’t do frantic. Joey does rock steady.

“Joey, what’s going on? Are you okay?” Okay now I was starting to get frantic. I do frantic very well.

“I just got a call from the bank, someone has stolen your identity. Can you get away from work? We need to call the police and file a report, cancel all the other cards, put an alert on our accounts…” Joey continued on and I became more frantic.

I have had a few friends who have had their identity stolen; it is a real mess and can take years to clear off of a credit record. This was a mess. Crrraaaappppp. I just ordered my bike on that card; I hope this doesn’t affect the order.

Oh, Fuck!

“…They spent over $4,000 at some bike shop yesterday. Can you believe that? How the hell does someone spend $4,000 at a bike shop?”

Well, quite easily actually. “Mikey?”

I got up and shut the door to my office. This could be bad.

“Mikey?” I let out a small whimper. “I know this is huge shock and kind of scary.” His voice switched over to that of my rock. Calm and reassuring that we would fix this and it would be okay. “Can you leave? I’ll come get you, we’ll come home and start making calls.”

I was still unable to speak. This was bad. “Mikey?”

“Heh, Heh…you see…” I let out a nervous little giggle. At moments like this, it really amazes me that I am a highly respected member of the community.

“MICHAELLLL?” Oh crap, now he knew. “What is left on your schedule today?”

“I have about an hour and half left of this Board Meeting, I need to sign the payroll checks, and then I was just going catch up on some paperwork.”

“How urgent is the paperwork?” he asked.

“Nothing that can’t wait.” I answered.

“I will pick you up in two hours, make sure you have everything finished.”

“Joe, I have my car here, I’ll come right home when I finish up. I promise.” I knew it was futile, but it was worth a try. I hate when my car gets left. It means I am in big trouble and cannot be trusted on my own.

“Michael, I will pick you up in two hours, no more. Do you understand?” Ah, my rock. Sometimes, I wish he were just a little easier to move.

“Yes, sir. I will be ready.” I hung up my phone and headed back to the boardroom.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****

I looked out my office window and saw Joey and his Prius at the stoplight getting ready to turn onto my street. When my husband became a Yuppie, I may never know.

I shut my computer down, turned off my office lights, and handed the signed payroll checks over to my assistant, “Jimmy, I’ve got a bad headache coming on. I’m going to head home for the day. I’ll see you on Monday.”

“Are you okay to drive? Do you want me to call cab?” He was such a sweet young man.

“No, thanks kiddo. Joey’s just pulling up now to pick me up.” I leaned over his desk to give him a goodbye kiss.

“See you Michael. I hope you feel better.”

I slung my bag over my shoulder and headed down the stairs, out the building and over to Joey’s car. I opened the passenger door and started to get into his car. Joey placed his hand over the car seat, preventing me from sitting down, and shot me a very stern look. “Where are you parked?” he asked.

“In the garage at 4th and K. The jeep will be safe there for the weekend.” I conceded and again tried to get into the passenger seat.

“I am not sure spending $25 a day to leave your car in the city is in your budget right now.” Ouch. I looked down at the ground and kicked my heals against the curb. Joey let out a soft sigh, “Hop in. I’ll drive you over to get it, and then I’ll follow you home.” Joey leaned over to kiss me as I finally climbed into his car.

I kissed him back. He always knows just what I need. It was going to be a long night, but from his kiss I knew we’d get through it.

“I’m sorry I worried you.” I said. He took hold of my hand and held it softly, gently stroking the back of my hand with his thumb until we reached the parking garage.

He gave me quick peck on the cheek and let me out at the entrance, “Okay, boy o’ mine, I will meet you around back, by the exit. I love you.”

“I love you, too.” I grabbed my bag and headed for the garage stairs and up to the third floor to retrieve the jeep. As I exited the garage, I saw Joey parked on the street waiting for me. He waived me out. I pulled into traffic and Joey pulled out right behind me and followed me home.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****

I pulled into our garage and Joey pulled in after me. I sat in the jeep for a minute, not really doing much other than contemplating my navel. It is quite a cute a navel if you must know. It has a little silver flower with a green stud hanging in it. I love when Joe…

The driver side door opened.

Crapppp. “Can’t I have any privacy, Joseph?”

“I would have thought more about the $25/day parking charge, if I knew this was the mood driving home by yourself was going to get me.” Joey held out his hand to help me out.

“Hmphh.” I said as I climbed out. I had only been standing upright for instant before I felt Joey land several very firm swats to my backside. “Yeouch!”

His hand stayed on my butt after the last swat and he gently pushed me towards the house. “Go pick a corner Timothy Michael.”

I hate it when he uses my first name. I had a tendency as a child to be a bit clumsy. Okay, not just as a child. But, when you are a clumsy kid named Timmy…life sucks.

“Mom, Timmy fell in the lake.”

“Dad, Timmy fell off the ski lift.” Yes, I actually did fall off a ski lift.

“Mom, Timmy’s lost.”

“Dad, come quick, Timmy’s hurt.”

The family joke was that I was not allowed around wells. Ha, Ha. My family think they are such fuckin’ comedians.

Anyway, when I left for college, I became Michael.

I headed over to my favorite corner in the lounge. It has a window to the garden just to the side of the corner, and I can often catch a nice view of the garden instead of just plaster.

I could hear Joey in the kitchen starting a pot of coffee. “I’d like a cup.” I shouted from the lounge.

It seemed like an instantaneous series of swats landed on my butt. “Hey.” I spun around to face Joey.

“Michael, my boy, are you supposed speak from the corner without being spoken to?”

“No.” It always amazes me how interesting our floors are when I am in trouble.

Joey placed his hands on my shoulders and turned me back to face the corner. “Are you allowed to turn yourself around without my permission?”

“No.” I answered. Several more swats. These were usually one-swat questions; the fact that I was receiving multiple swats so early in the evening was not a good sign.

“That would be correct. Now, I strongly urge you, to stay quietly in this corner, until I am ready to discuss the $4,000 charge you made on OUR credit card yesterday.” Joseph punctuated that statement with one very firm swat.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ******

Eternity passed and I began to kick at the baseboards.

Swat! Swat! Swat!

Yeow! My hand moved back to protect by backside. Joey leaned forward and kissed the back of my head. “Stop fidgeting.”

Bastard.

I have fidgeting issues, and those of us that are fidgetedly impaired feel it is very unfair for us to be swatted for movements that we have little to no control over.

I stopped kicking, but it took all my self-control to stand still. It was making my brain hurt, because it frantically wanted to send movement impulses out to my limbs.

Finally, I felt Joey’s arm around my waist; I leaned into him, rested my head on his shoulder and began to cry. He brought his other arm around me and held me in his firm embrace.

I cried with the frustration of being in this situation. I cried in anticipation of what was yet to come. I cried because I never meant for this to be a bad thing. I cried because I had freaked Joey out. I cried because, being in his arms was the safest place I knew, and I was truly thankful to be there.

When my tears began to subside, Joe led me over to a chair at the kitchen table and handed me a warm cup of coffee. He sat down on the chair next to me and placed his hand gently over mine, “Alright, boy o’, tell me.”

Dandelion, our cat, began to do figure eights between Joe and my legs. Joe patted his lap, “’m ‘ere Dandy.” She jumped onto his lap and walked a few circles before she settled.

Joey began to gently pet her.

“I am going to do the AIDS Lifecyle ride.” I started.

He let out a sigh. “I thought it might have to do with the Ride. But, last I remember we were still discussing your doing the ride this year.”

“I registered to do the ride.” I stated. Joey raised his left eyebrow. The one eyebrow raise is not a good thing; it usually comes with the ‘Excuse me young man look?’ Ahh, and there it is. Fuck, I’m in trouble.

“Excuse me? You did what?” Ow, the eyebrow, look and the actual question.

“I registered to do the ride.” I said a little more timidly this time.

“Yes, I heard you the first time, AND AS I SAID, I don’t remember OUR making a decision about whether or not you were going to do the ride this year or not. Did I miss something?”

“Umm…,” his eyebrow raised higher, “…no.” I said as I began to fidget with my thumb ring.

“So, boy ‘o, why did you register?” He asked. I started to answer, but Joey continued with, “and I don’t were hear, ‘I wanted to’.”

Well crap, there goes my answer. I sat quietly twirling the ring around my thumb.

“Michael, why did you register for the ride before checking with me?”

I still had no answer.

“Okay, we will move on for now. What made you think you could spend $4,000 for a new bike?”

“It was only $3,000.” I stated.

“Oh, only $3,000…and what did you spend the other $1,000 on?” he asked.

The clothes make the man. What the fuck was I thinking? I wasn’t thinking that’s the problem... the shopping fairy possessed me and I had no control. Damn shopping fairy has got my fanny tanned more times than I can count.

“Michael?” Joey asked.

Tears were starting to well up in my eyes and my nose was starting to run. I shuddered and let out sigh as the tears began to fall. “It was the fairy, Joe. I couldn’t help it. She just takes over. After she made me order the bike, she just went crazy with the cycling gear.”

“For Christ’s sake, Michael, you are a grown man. We all have our demons, but that fairy is seriously detrimental to your health.” He let out a small smile and pulled my chair and me closer to him.

I rested my head on his shoulder and began to rub Dandy’s ears. “I’m sorry, I just really wanted it, and we had kind of talked about me getting a new bike.”

“Michael, do you register for 7-day, 600 mile bike rides, without my permission?” He calmly asked.

“No.”

“Do you make huge purchases, whether possessed by the shopping fairy or not, without my permission?”

“No.”

He continued, “And, Michael, what is it called when you do these thing without telling me or getting my permission?”

The tears were falling more rapidly now, “Deceitful.” I answered.

“What happens when you’re deceitful?” He asked as he helped me stand up.

I was now shuddering and overtaken with tears, “I get punished.”

“Yes, you do. Give me your belt.”

I continued to cry as I undid my belt, slid it off, and handed it to Joey.

“Can I still do the ride?” I asked as Joey, lay my belt over his thigh and began to undue my jeans.

“I don’t think you’ll like my answer right now and in a few minutes I can’t imagine you will even want to THINK about sitting on a bike for 7 days.” He lowered my jeans and boxers and pulled me over his lap.

Joey rested his hand on my bare bottom, and asked, “Why are you being punished?” He began to gently rub his hand over my cheek, waiting for me to answer.

I sniffled, “I was deceitful and gave into the shopping fairy.” I glanced back over my shoulder at him.

He patted my fanny, “Blaming poor defenseless fairies, has landed you over my lap too many times, Michael.” He gave me a very severe SWAT. “I want this to be the last time!” SWAT, SWAT, SWAT. “Do you understand?” He continued to spank me until it felt like an inferno had erupted on my butt.

I was so thankful when he stopped. It was one of the worst spankings he had ever delivered. I was sobbing so hard and couldn’t wait to crawl into his arms and be forgiven. I started to wiggle off of his lap because he had forgotten to loosen his grip on my waist. The wiggle didn’t get me anywhere. I turned and looked over my shoulder to see Joey doubling the belt up into his hand. “No, Joey, please.”

He released his grip on me and I lowered myself to the floor. “Please, don’t I can’t take the belt.”

Joey didn’t seem to take any notice as he took hold of my arm and stood me up. “My bottom hurts to bad.”

He bent me over the kitchen table. “Please. I can’t take it.”

“Michael, this was completely unacceptable behavior and we have talked about your shopping habits too many times. I want this spanking to be memorable enough that we will not have to do this again!” and the belt tore across my butt.

By the time he landed the last blow, I was gasping for breath, I had been sobbing so hard. Joseph stood me up and helped me to hobble, with pants and shorts around my ankles, back over to the corner.

With my fire hot bottom on display, I was left to sob in the lounge corner. It is rare that I get left in a corner after a spanking; it usually means that I have more thinking and eventually more talking to do. Neither of which seemed particularly appealing at that moment time.

It is even more rare to have to stand at full moon following punishment. Today, it was mostly because to restore my pants would not have been conducive to the thinking that was supposed to be taking place. Although, it was clear that Joey was trying to send a very clear message of my naughtiness by leaving me there with my pants pooled around my ankles.

As if the message he left blazed on my backside wasn’t enough.

Quite an eternity after my sobbing had faded to the occasional hiccup, Joe asked, “How’s the thinking going?”

“FINE.” I replied, a little more snidely than was healthy.

Several swats later, “Well, I’ll just let you get back to it then.” Joe said while taking a seat on the sofa. “I’m going to sit here and read the paper, you come join me when you are feeling civil enough to talk.”

“Hmph.”

“Excuse me?” Joey asked as he began to set the paper down.

“Sorry.”

“That’s better.” He said as he picked the paper back up.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****

It was starting to get dark; and I was getting fidgety. Despite the heat still blazing from my fanny, I was freezing.

I heard Joe get up off the couch, which caused me to franticly respond, “I’m still thinking, and I’ll stop fidgeting.”

He said nothing, but wrapped a big soft blanket around me, helped me step out of my pants, and laid me down on the couch beside him. He began to stroke the hair off my forehead, and I felt my eyelids growing heavy.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****

When I woke up the next morning, I was in our bed, resting my upper body on Joey’s chest, and feeling the very urgent need to pee. I tried to gently roll away, so as not to wake him, but the expletive that escaped my mouth as my butt touched the sheets, started his stirring.

“Sore?” He asked.

YOU THINK! “A little.” I responded and headed to the bathroom.

“Hop in the shower, babe, I’ll go start breakfast.” Joey said, as I heard him making the bed.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****

I sat down (with a wince of pain) at the table to my favorite breakfast, a bowl of yogurt, fruit and granola. Joey sat across from me, “We need to discuss the rest of your punishment.”

“Wa west.” I tried to say with a mouth full of food.

“Yes, the rest.”

I gulped. In case you didn’t know, gulping granola is a little painful.

“I called the bike shop last night and cancelled the bike order. You are taking ALL the merchandise back this morning.”

“Yes, sir.” I paused. “So, I can’t do the ride?”

“We’ll talk about that in a minute.”

Crap, that meant there was still more punishment.

“Please, go get your wallet.” Joey instructed.

I went into the hall, collected my wallet from the entry hall table, returned to the kitchen and handed it over to Joe.

He opened my wallet and began to remove my credit cards. “These will be returned to you, when I feel you are better able to control your relationship with her fairyness.”

“Wait, Joey, that one is my bank card.” I advised him pointing to my visa check card.

“Yes, I know. You will be on a strict allowance at least for the next 6 weeks. At the beginning of each week, I will give you a weekly allowance. During that week you will keep track of all of your expenditures. At the end of each week, I will review your expenditures and what you anticipate your needs will be for the following week, and then give you your next weeks allowance. If all goes well at the end of the six weeks, I will return your bank card to you.”

I stood up causing my chair to fall backwards to the floor, “FUCK THAT!!!!!” I exclaimed while grabbing for my cards.

He moved the cards out of my reach and then placed them in the front pocket of his bathrobe.

The fucking Rock of Gibraltar spoke again, “Michael, I believe you are still quite sore from last night. I really don’t think you want to give me any reason to add to your pain. Now, pick up your chair and SIT back down.”

“Fuck you, Joey.” I said as I picked up my chair and began to exit the kitchen.

Joey grabbed my arm, pulled me to his side, lowered my shorts and boxers and applied a dozen or more quick swats to my bottom. When finished, he motioned for me to pull my shorts back up. I did. He took me by the arm and (OW! OW! OW!) sat me back down in my chair.

He stood next to me, and asked, “Are you able to have a civil conversation with me?”

“NO.” Duh, was he not paying attention?

Joey lifted me back out of me chair, applied several more swats, and escorted me to the kitchen corner. The reheated sting in backside was smarting. I was shuddering and crying. I moved my hands to my bottom and tried to relieve some of his sting.

“We need to have this conversation, Mikey, and it WILL BE civil. You have 20 minutes to calm yourself. If you aren’t ready to talk then, we will have this conversation with you over my knee. And, Mikey, if we have to go there, it will be sometime next week before you are able to sit comfortably again.” He ruffled my hair and kissed my cheek. “Understand?”

I nodded and mumbled, “Yes, sir.”

“Good, I am going to take a shower. I will meet in you in the lounge in 20 minutes. I’ll bring the paddle, just in case, but, I really hope I won’t be needing it.” He kissed me again and headed upstairs to shower.

I leaned my head against the wall and sobbed.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ****** *****

It had been about 10 minutes, when I heard the shower turn off. I decided I had better start to make the move to calm down. I let out another shudder and took a deep breath. I headed to the bathroom under the stairs to wash my face, and then started a fresh pot of coffee.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****

By the time Joey entered the lounge, carrying the paddle (BASTARD), I was feeling a bit more sorted.

Joey looked over at me and asked, “Are you ready to continue our conversation?”

I nodded and took another sip of my coffee, as I watched him set the paddle down on the tea table.

Joe came over and took my coffee out of my hand and led me over to the sofa. He sat down and gently lowered me into his lap.

I rested my head on his shoulder as he embraced me.

I sniffed. “I am a grown man. I am responsible for the budget and running of a multimillion-dollar agency, and I run it well. I can’t believe you are taking away my credit cards and putting me on an allowance.”

Joey cupped my chin in his hand and raised my head so that we made eye contact, “I NEVER questioned you professionally. You are the BEST at what you do. I have complete and total respect for how you run the agency. I have never had any reason, nor do I EVER anticipate that I will have any reason to question your professional decisions.”

The tears were definitely free flowing at this point. Joey continued, “But, we are talking about your personal decisions, the ones you made that effect us, our finances and life. Now, my boy,” He began to run his thumb across my cheek, “the problem is that we have had too many of these conversations. So, I decided more extreme measures were needed to help you understand.”

I tried to nuzzle my head back against his chest, but he continued to make me hold eye contact, as he continued, “You may feel this is severe. It is. You got a bit out of control, and you know when that happens, I am going to real you in.”

Still crying, I nodded into his hand. He stopped holding my face, and instead moved the palm of his hand up my face and gently pressed my head back onto his chest and held me while I cried it out.

When I had truly calmed, Joey pushed me into a seated position next to him. “So, please explain to me what you understand about your punishment.”

I let out a big sigh, and gave my best pleading look, I placed my hand over my forehead, in a ‘woe is me’ gesture, and asked, “Haven’t I been punished enough?”

He smirked and gently shook his head. “Come on drama queen, I want you to explain.”

I let out another sigh of exasperation, before I took a serious tone. “Registering for something, with such a major commitment as the ride, without seriously talking to you was deceitful. Deceit is not healthy for our relationship and isn’t allowed. I will always be soundly spanked if I deceive you.”

Joey nodded for me to continue. “I am a responsible adult and need to behave like one, when I feel the urge to give into shopping cravings, especially purchases that could be deemed as excessive or have a major effect on our family finances.” I stopped and began to cry.

“Go on baby, you are doing great.” Joey encouraged.

I wiped my tears on my sleeve. “Because, I have demonstrated that I couldn’t do that, you have taken that option away from me.”

He nodded and pulled me into a hug. “So, now we need to talk about the ride,” he said.

I pushed away; I didn’t want to be hugging him when he told me I couldn’t go.

“Last night, after I called and canceled the order for your new bike, I registered my self”

My mouth fell open in shock.

“Hey,” Joey said with clear outrage.

I started to laugh. “Joe…” it was difficult to continue I was now laughing so hard. “Joe, you are a very fit man…” now I was crying from laughing so hard. “Joey, you don’t know how to ride a bike.” We both erupted into a fit of giggles.

Joey held his chest, trying to regain his breath so he could speak, “Michael, you didn’t let me finish. I registered for the Medical Crew.”

“Oh, pffahaaahaaaa, that makes more sense.” I fell back against his chest as we both erupted back into giggles.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ******

January

200 miles a week.

The holidays were lovely, but being on a budget sucked. I behaved myself, and was able to give everyone nice gifts and stay on budget. Joey returned my bankcard on New Years Day.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ****** *****

March

325 miles a week, including some killer hills.

Joey gave me a very nice previously owned Six13 road bike for my birthday and returned my credit cards.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****

May

450 miles a week.

Joey says I’m going to kill him in the bedroom with my new found stamina.

***** ***** ****** ***** ****** ***** ******

June 4 – Day Zero – San Francisco

We spent the night at our favorite bed and breakfast in San Francisco. I had planned to get an early start on registration, but Joey had other ideas.

I had just gotten out of the shower and was resting my foot on the bed rail drying off. Joey walked by and gave me a playful swat on my backside.

I gave him a suggestive little wiggle of my fanny, and the next thing I knew he had thrown off his clothes, bent me over the bed, and was pounding me with all his might. Feisty little devil, my Joey is. Well, the man was really just in it for a quick fuck…and I was wanting a little more…so, I decided to do a little something to slow him down.

I raised myself a bit and turned to look at Joey, I slapped my hand back on his ass a few times and yelled, “Well, YEEEEHAAAAAW, ride me cowboy!” at which point we both fell forward on the bed giggling, Joey still extremely hard and fully inside me. I placed both my hands on his beautiful butt, raised my head up to his ear and whispered, “Take your time Sugar.”

Joey responded by pulling out. “Eha. I didn’t want you to stop.” I squeaked.

Joey turned me around, lifted me on to the bed, raised my legs to his shoulders, grabbed my gaze with his beautiful green eyes, and slowly reentered me. My boy rode me long and hard until I thought I was going to melt into him. The friction of our bellies on my cock sent me over the edge first, but my spasms dragged Joey along with me.

We lay tangled together and panting for a while until I broke the silence, “Well great, now I have to shower again.”

He planted a firm kiss on my lips and dragged me off the bed with him, “Come on we’ll shower together.”

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

June 5 – Day 1 – San Francisco to Santa Cruz – 107 miles

Opening Ceremony was empowering and tearful. As the riderless bike started our journey with tears, Joey and I held hands and quietly whispered the names of our lost friends. Marc, Mike, Kevin, Joe, David, Peter, Juan, Kimberly, Claire, Tommy, Robert, and the unforgettable Miss Maybelline.

We kissed goodbye at 7:30. He hopped in the Medical Van and headed off to his station at Pit Stop 3.

I joined my team in bike parking and we waited as the wave of 2,000 riders began the journey south.

The first few miles were slow and fun. Most of the riders were still together in a big mass and crowds lined the streets to wish us a bon voyage. We rode through the Marina, past the Palace of Fine Arts, through the Presidio, Golden Gate Park and out of the City.

The climb over Highway 92 was steep and scary, but well worth it when we entered Half Moon Bay and spent the rest of the day riding along the Pacific to Santa Cruz.

I pulled into Pit Stop 3 at about 1:30. And as much as longed to find Joey, I dropped my bike and ran for the nearest port-a-potty (POP).

Ahhhh.

After the much needed relief, I headed over to the Medical Van to check-in with Joey. I couldn’t believe how swamped he was with patients. When he caught my eye, he sent me a large grin and blew me a soft kiss. I stood and waited until he finished with his current patient.

He come over and grabbed me in a firm embrace. “Eww, you stink.” He said, before he planted a sweet kiss on my lips.

“Thanks. I love you, too.”

The next thing I knew, he was checking my pulse, asking how much I had been drinking, how many times had I peed, what did I eat for lunch, how was I feeling.

He gave me the all clear, handed me a tongue depressor full of butt balm with instructions to use it all, because he didn’t feel like listening to me whine about chaffing all night.

I kissed him on the cheek and hit the road for last 40 miles of the day.

I beet Joey back to camp, retrieved our gear and set up our tent. Camp was amazing, a sea of tents, and leave it to 2,000 queens and AIDS activist to have a well decorated camp.

Once Joey got back we strolled through camp, hand-in-hand to check out the neighbors. Three tents down had rainbow fairy lights. The next row over had a white picket fence and pink flamingos. There was the tent with blow-up lawn furniture, one with a kiddie pool, etc, etc…

I slept well that first night, despite the five middle of the night trips to the POPs.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ****** ******

June 6 - Day 2 – Santa Cruz to King City – 111 miles

Day two we headed back inland. The day was mostly flat, a lot of time spent riding through the strawberry, lettuce, and various other agricultural fields of Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties.

Joey was working Pit Stop One today. I found yesterday that the Pit Stop One crew were a little on the wild side. Yesterday they were all dressed as Super Heroes. Today, they were all decked out in leather and other BDSM attire.

I headed over to the Medical Van to check-in with Joey, but didn’t see my Gap man anywhere. Until, I recognized a very familiar, sexy, slightly hairy butt protruding from ass-less chaps. I clutched my chest. Joey turned around and roared with laughter as he came over to catch me from falling.

“Wha…Wha…Who…Where…” I stuttered.

He continued to laugh. My handsome husband stood before me in leather ass-less chaps, his red Medical Team t-shirt, a black leather vest, a spiked collar, handcuffs hooked to the belt loop on the chaps, and his stethoscope draped around his neck. Oh, I do love this man.

“Where did you get those?” I finally spit out.

Joey pulled me into a hug as he continued to laugh. “One of the EMT’s who was supposed to work this shift got pulled over to the lunch stop. So, I asked if I could barrow them. What do you think? Should I get a pair for home?” He continued to laugh, so amused at my complete and utter shock.

“I have to pee.” I announced. He kissed me and I headed to the POPs. I was really starting to appreciate the genius of indoor plumbing.

After relieving myself, I decided that it was time to get back at My Love. I removed my camera from my camel back and headed back to the Medical Van. Many incriminating photo’s later I headed out onto the road.

***** ***** ***** ****** ***** ***** *****

June 7 - Day 3 – King City to Pasa Robles – 75 miles – 1100 feet of hill climbing

Joey woke me with a kiss on Day 3. “I have to get going my boy. It’s going to be hot today. Over 100 degrees. Make sure that you stay hydrated. I’m working the night shift tonight, so I won’t see you until you get back to camp. Be safe. I love you.”

“Love you, too.” I said and kissed him goodbye.

Exiting King City, we passed a school that had brought out all their students to wave and send us well wishes. It was so amazing to see hundreds of children rooting us on.

By 9:30 am it was already pushing 90 degrees.

After pit stop two, I passed a lone woman standing on the side of the rode holding a sign that read, “Thank you for riding for my son, Steven 1972 – 1996.”

Later in the day, I passed a lone rider on a bike with an empty children’s tandem hooked to it. From the seat of the children’s bike hung a picture of a little girl, with a note that said, “I ride for my niece, Carmen 1996 – 2002.”

I returned to camp emotionally and physically exhausted. I went to find Joey first thing.

I knocked on the Medical Van door and went in to find Joey sitting at the kitchen table. I went over and slid in next to him at the table. I rested my head on his shoulder and cried. Joey embraced me, “You look horrible. How do you feel?”

“I’m tired.” I said.

“Your dehydrated” he responded. He went into the van fridge and took out a Gatorade. “Drink this, please.” Joey handed me bottle.

“I’m gonna go shower.” I took the Gatorade and started to get up.

“Sit. Drink. You can have a shower in a little while.” I sat back down. “I expect you to do a lot better job hydrating tomorrow, boy o’.”

***** ***** ***** ****** ***** ***** *****

June 8 - Day 4 – Paso Robles to Oceano – 70 miles – 1800 feet of hill climbing

I stopped by the Medical Van to say goodbye to Joey before I set off. He was just getting off shift, so he grabbed my gear from me, held my hand, and walked me over to bike parking to see me off.

“Baby, you still aren’t looking that great.” He felt my forehead. “I want you to make sure to drink a lot today, and slow down your pace a bit.”

I nodded and leant into kiss him goodbye. “I’m working Pit Stop Three again today. So, I’ll see you this afternoon.”

I hopped on my bike, depressed, tired and really not looking forward to a long hot day of hills.

I talked myself up the first 1100-foot climb and cried during the incredible freeness I felt during of the 1700-foot decent that took me into the 2nd Pit Stop. The crew had a Hawaiian theme going. I got laid, visited the POPs, and got back out onto the road.

I got to lunch and wasn’t feeling very well, but I forced myself to eat most of my lunch and got back on the road.

About 5 miles out of the lunch stop I started feeling flushed and dizzy. I pulled over and decided to take a short rest. A couple of sweeper vans passed by and I gave them the thumbs up that I was fine.

The rest didn’t seem to help and I started feeling worse.

I started to wretch and began vomiting. I didn’t notice the sweeper van pull over or that anyone was there with me until I was offered a bottle of water.

“Hi, what’s your name?” The volunteer van driver asked.

“Michael. Thanks for the water. I’ll be fine in a minute.” I said trying to stand.

“We’re going to take you up to the next Pit Stop and have the Medical Team check you out.” The driver started to steer me into the van.

“Really, I’m just going to rest a little more.” I said.

I heard the other Sweeper Van Volunteer over the walkie-talkie. “Van 18 to Pit Stop 3. Over.”

“Hey, Van 18, this is Pit Stop 3.”

She continued to talk into the walkie-talkie, “We just picked up San Francisco Rider #1226, he was vomiting on the side of the rode about 5 miles past the Lunch stop, we’re going to bring him into Medical, can you let them know. Over.”

“Sure thing, Van 18, we’ll see you in a little while.”

The driver sat me down in the minivan and helped me buckle my seat belt. “Sorry, Michael, your gonna have to be cleared by medical before you can rejoin the ride.”

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ****

Van 18, dropped me off right at the Medical Tent, and Joey was waiting looking frantic. He helped me out of the car and walked me over to the shaded medical tent. “Oh, Mikey, you haven’t been drinking, have you?”

“I drank some.” I said.

He sat me down on an exam table and took my blood pressure. “It’s low, baby. I need to get a temperature to see if you are starting to get heat stroke.” He laid me down, and started to turn me over.

“No, Joey, please.” I started to cry.

He pulled over a couple of curtain screens for privacy, and pulled a sheet and blanket over me. “Lift your hips for me baby, so I can lower your shorts.” I did as he said but continued to beg for him not to take my temperature this way.

Another member of the Medical Team entered the screened area, with an IV and a lubed thermometer. She handed Joey the dreaded glass rod. “Please, Joey.” I continued to beg.

“Shh, my boy.” He raised the sheet, separated my cheeks and inserted the thermometer into my bottom. I let out a little whimper.

“Hi, Michael. My name is Lane. I’m going to start your IV. Okay?”

“Lane, honey, you know, at this point, I’m in a parking lot with a thermometer up my butt, I really don’t care what you do.” I whined.

About 45 minutes later, I had to pee so I called for Joey. He signal for a volunteer to come and escort me to the POP.

Sister Kat O’Ninetails of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence arrived at my side. She placed her hands together and gave me a gentle nod. “I am here to escort your majesty to his throne.”

I rolled my eyes at her.

“Listen honey, that handsome doctor of yours, says you need an escort to the loo, so I am here to oblige.”

I sat up. Sister Kat helped to put my shoes back on, she slid her arm around mine and we were off. “Your mother must be so happy you landed yourself a big doctor.”

“He’s a Physician’s Assistant.” I corrected her.

“Same diff.” She said. She waved at one of her sisters as she opened the POP door for me. “I’ll wait here for you. Don’t lock the door. Knock if you need me.”

I came out of the POP and Sister Kat was chatting with another of her order. “Sister Hysteria this is…”

“Michael.” I said.

Kat reattached himself to me. “Oooo, honey, Michael has married himself a big handsome doctor.” Kat placed a hand over her mouth, as if to make a discreet comment, but lowered his voice none, “takes his temperature the naughty way.”

I turned the brightest shade of pink possible. Sister Kat gave me a wink. I forget what Bitches the Sisters can be.

I was deposited back at my cot and pulled the sheet and blanket over my head and let out a muffled thanks.

I spent the rest of the afternoon under Joey’s care; two more IV’s, two more temperature takings, and several hours of sleep.

At 5:30, when the Pit Stop closed for the day, Joey escorted me to the Med Van and we traveled back to camp. We had dinner and I was promptly put to bed.

***** ***** ***** ****** ***** *****

June 9 – Day 5 – Oceano to Lompoc – 55 miles

I was not a happy man on the morning of Day 5. Joey put me on the Medical list and I wasn’t allowed to ride.

I pouted. Big time.

The camp was virtually empty as all the riders were now on the road. There was just the packing crew, the 40 or so other riders who weren’t allowed or had chosen not ride, some of the Medical Crew and a few other stragglers.

We were sitting on the grass by the two large busses waiting to transport everyone to the next campsite, when I told Joey he was a big overprotected asshole. Joey was a little short tempered that morning and didn’t really appreciate the name-calling. He got up pulling me with him, and dragged me into the handicapped accessible POP, locked the door, and promptly pulled my sweats down. As I was going commando at the time, this left me bare. Joey applied several dozen quick yet firm swats, and returned my sweats to their proper position, “If you want to be able to sit on your bike tomorrow, you better get your temper in check boy o’.”

We went back to the grass to wait for the exit of the busses, this time with me lying on my side resting my head in Joey’s lap, while he petted my head. I was still a little a sniffly when Sister Kat walked by and gave me a little wink and blew Joe a kiss.

Bitch.

I spent most of the rest of my day resting on our air mattress in the corner of the Medical Tent.

At lunchtime, Joey brought me a turkey sandwich and then lay down to cuddle with me, until I fell back to sleep.

***** ***** ***** ***** ****** ****** *****

June 10 – Day 6 – Lompoc to Ventura – 96 miles

Joey removed my name from the Medical list and allowed me to ride on Day 6. “I’m working the Lunch Stop today. I want to check you out when you get in; then I’ll let you know if you can finish up the day. I want you to be finishing your camel back between the pit stops. Got it?”

I saluted and then leant in for my goodbye kiss, which was accompanied by a swat to my butt. I smiled and set off.

The five members of the Lompoc GLBTQ organization were outside of camp with a big rainbow flag cheering us on. My heart gave a pleasant shudder at their presence.

The ride got stopped for about a ½ hour a few miles outside of the 1st Pit Stop (it was drag day). About 700 riders were crammed together…we sang…did the wave…exchanged stories about the ride and why we rode.

I got to lunch and went to see Joey for my “clearance.”

“You look great!” He said, pulling me into a strong hug and quick kiss.

“I feel good. Can I keep riding?”

“How much have you had to drink? How many times have you peed? I can see you have been sweating. You sure you are feeling good?”

I answered all his questions and passed inspection.

“Can you have lunch with me?” I asked.

“Nope, sorry boy o’. But let’s have dinner together on the beach tonight.” Joey suggested.

My eyes lit up and I kissed him again. “That sounds great. I’ll see you back at camp.”

When I got back to camp, Joey had the tent all set up and a picnic dinner packed. “Mikey, go shower and then we can head to down to the beach.”

I ran into Sister Kat outside the showers. “Ohhhh, Michael, darling, how are you feeling? Did you doctor have to check your temperature today?”

I smiled sweetly, “No, Sister, but thank you for asking after my health.”

“It looks like you got a good ride into day, Hmmmm?” She asked.

“Yeah, it was beautiful today. I had a great ride.” I replied.

She patted me on my butt, “I was a little worried about how comfortably you would be able to ride, after your little spanking yesterday?” She winked and was on her way.

Bitch.

I got back from the shower wearing my softest sweats, grabbed a blanket, sleeping bag, Joey and our dinner and we left for the beach.

We got to the beach spread out our blanket and ate. Dinner wasn’t anything fancy, just the burgers, salad and chocolate cake the Ride was serving. But, after spending so much of our vacation apart, I was just happy to be with Joe.

The wind made the night a little chilly so I was glad I had brought the sleeping bag.

Joey sat between my legs and leaned up against my chest. We cuddled and shared stories of our day until it was dark. I pulled the sleeping bag around us. “I think I could live my whole life just like this.” I said wrapping my arms around Joey.

Joey scooted back a little and rubbed himself against my crotch. “Just like this,” he whispered. I slipped my hand into his shorts and took hold of him. “There’s lube in my bag,” he panted.

“Joseph Christopher, there are people around.” I teased.

“I’ll by quiet, if you will?” he whispered back as he wiggled out of his shorts and underwear, while I slipped my sweats down.

I grabbed the lube and liberally applied it to my dick. Joey raised himself slightly and then settled himself on me. I put one hand around his waist and engulfed him with the other. Joey made sure to hold the sleeping bad closed around us. We slowly moved together. I whispered into his ear, “I could live my whole life just like this.”

“Me too.” He said and turned his head to kiss me.

As usual, I came first. Joey followed shortly after.

We returned ourselves to a state of dress and spent another hour lying under the sleeping bag, kissing and giggling. When I began yawning, Joey began to collect our gear and steered us back to our tent and to bed.

***** ***** ***** ****** ***** ******

June 11 – Day 7 – Ventura to Los Angeles – 75 miles

Day seven was such a blur of emotions.

What I remember most was 40 miles of some of the most beautiful coastal scenery I have ever had the pleasure to be around. The sky was grey and the weather was perfect for cycling.

When I entered Malibu, I was exhausted, amazed that I although I hadn’t ridden the whole 560 plus miles, I had ridden about 500 of them. The shear adrenaline and rush of my accomplishment and of being near the finish carried me for the final twenty miles.

I met Joey at the Closing Ceremony’s staging station. We spent the rest of the afternoon socializing with my cycling team, eating ice cream and taking pictures with all the friends we had made.

Joey was feeding me ice cream when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Sister Kat. “Take a picture with me sugar.” He said, handing his camera to Joey and pulling me into an embrace.

“I’ll take it on the count of three.” Joey said.

“One…”

“Two…”

“Three…”

“Did you have a good time on the beach last night sugar?”

My mouth fell open. Biiiitccchhh.

No comments: